Tis’ the season for gift giving! And if you’re anything like us, you’ll want to find the perfect something for that perfect someone. You can just go ahead and ask what they want, and if you’re really lucky, they’ll tell you exactly what that is then you can go buy it, but that takes all the romance out of the event. Then there’s the easy route of grabbing a gift card, however, that is pretty impersonal. So without asking, how does one buy the perfect gift? We’ve got the ultimate gift giving guide to make both you and your special someone happy!
- Decide what your budget is.
- Think about what’s happening in the persons life. Did they just move? Are they starting a new job?
- Ask yourself, what does the person dislike? It’s just as important to be able to rule out lots of things that they don’t like as it is to know what they DO like.
- Make a list of all the things the person is interested in and things that define who they are. Now, you’ve got to make this list long—spend at least two full minutes writing down as many things as you can. Once you’re done, brainstorm something to go with every item on that list, small or big.
- Does the person like objects or experiences? Experiences such as a Ziptrek zip line adventure or tickets to a DJ are generally more memorable than objects. But don’t forget that some objects such as goggles, a GoPro or a Herschel backpack can also be appreciated.
- If you’re opting for something wearable, take some ideas from what they wear if you can – as this will tell you a lot about what they like.
- Give something that both of you can share in, like an adventure. This shows that you want to spend more time with the person, and also provides you with the perfect excuse to treat yourself!
- Write a nice card and take the time to wrap your gift. It makes it more special.
- Do some stalking. If all else fails, stalk. Most people have a wish list, and they’ll be pretty surprised and delighted if you somehow found just the thing they wanted without even asking.
Now remember, ultimately it’s not the gift, but the thought that counts, so think about your gift carefully and you really can’t go wrong. If you’re still struggling to find the perfect gift, stop McCoo’s, our expert staff can help you out!